After a long time of inactivity, I have resurrected the Live and Dare Podcast in order to interview Dr. Rick Hanson.
I met Dr. Rick during a conference in Melbourne, Australia, in July 2018. It was the first nation-wide meditation conference in Australia, organized by the Meditation Association of Australia, of which I’m part. I enjoyed his approach, method of teaching and message, so I decided to connect and exchange some ideas.
In this episode we talk about:
- Rick’s journey into mindfulness and meditation
- The key elements of a fulfilling intimate relationship, and how meditation can help you develop those
- The practice of “thouing” the other as an expression of self-awareness and compassion
- Developing a strong heart, and asserting one’s needs in relationships
- Finding the balance between compassion and self-assertion
- Integrating mindfulness and meditation in daily life
- How to manage the side effects of traumatic experiences, and re-build ourselves after it
- The neuropsychological foundation for lasting love
- The four blunt questions that will show you were you are in the path, and where to focus on next
- The importance of risking the dreaded experience
Books mentioned in the episode:
- Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind (Shunryu Suzuki)
- The Perennial Philosophy (Adous Huxley)
- The Three Pillars of Zen (Roshi Philip Kapleau)
- The Neurodharma of Love (Dr. Rick Hanson)
- Hardwiring Happiness (Dr. Rick Hanson)
People and movements mentioned:
Learn more about Dr. Rick Hanson’s work, visit his website.